|| Accommodation & Tour (PDF)|||||Programme|
International Bar Association
the global voice of the legal profession
The International Bar Association (IBA), established in 1947, is the world’s leading organisation of international legal practitioners, bar associations and law societies. The IBA influences the development of international law reform and shapes the future of the legal profession throughout the world. It has a membership of over 35,000 individual lawyers and 197 bar associations and law societies spanning all continents. Grouped into two divisions – the Legal Practice Division and the Public and Professional Interest Division – the IBA covers all
practice areas and professional interests. It provides members with professional development and networking opportunities, as well as access to leading experts and up-to-date legal information.
Bar Issues Commission
The IBA’s Bar Issues Commission provides an invaluable forum for IBA member organisations to discuss all matters relating to law at an international level.
Human Rights Institute
The IBA Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI) works across the Association to promote, protect and enforce human rights under a just rule of law, and to preserve the independence of the judiciary and the legal profession worldwide.
International Criminal Court (ICC) Monitoring and Outreach Programme
The ICC Monitoring and Outreach Programme is an IBAHRI initiative, funded by the John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation, operating from an office in The Hague. The monitoring component of the programme follows and reports on the Court’s work and proceedings and the implementation of the Rome Statute and other legal texts. The progaramme’s outreach component works in partnership with bar associations, lawyers and civil society organisations to disseminate information and promote debate on the ICC in different jurisdictions across the globe.
Other IBA institutions
Other institutions established by the IBA include the Southern African Litigation Centre and the International Legal Assistance
IBA members include law firms, bar associations, law societies and individual legal professionals. We cover all continents, with
members based in over 195 countries, from every major firm in each jurisdiction. In addition, we have over 1,000 corporate counsel members representing hundreds of multinational corporations, including Coca-Cola, IBM, Exxon Mobil and AT&T.
Reasons to join the IBA
- Enjoy access to a network of the world’s top lawyers, judges and corporate counsel, including partners from the world’s leading firms and counsel from virtually all leading corporations.
- Generate new business and discover the best firms and lawyers to do business with from around the world.
- Discuss hot issues and keep up to date with the latest developments by attending our wide range of conferences – earn your quota of CPD/CLE points.
- Learn about key developments, new legislation and realworld issues lawyers encounter on a daily basis through our series of magazines and journals, and make use of our extensive online library of articles.
- Have your voice heard – be part of the debate on international law reform and make your own contribution to the advancement of cross-border law reform.
- Show your support for the rule of law and human rights around the world.
- Develop your knowledge and skills, interact with different cultures and make friendships that will last a lifetime.
- Listing in, and access to, the IBA membership directory
- Unparalleled networking opportunities
- Discounted IBA conference registration fees
- Online legal library
- Monthly e-news bulletin
- Legal magazines and journals
- Discounts on IBA books and products
- Member rewards special offers programme